One will be taken [i.e. received]
and the other left behind [i.e. turned away].
Two women will be grinding at a mill.
One will be taken, [see above]
and the other left behind [ditto].
for you know not in which hour your Lord will return.
But do know this:
that if those in the house had known the hour of the thief’s coming, they would have remained watchful, and would not have let their stores be plundered."
I have a co-worker who has asked me on several occasions
|image from politicaloutcast.com|
I've come to understand that it isn't just Christians who, in times of great turmoil --which, by the way, is the cycle of mankind's history -- resort to finding comfort and relief in their version of doomsday predictions. For decades the scientific community has offered its own impending cataclysmic scenarios resulting from man-made this or that.
"It has been 45 years now since the first Earth Day. You would think that in this time frame, given the urgency with which we were told we had to confront the supposed threats to the environment—Harvard biologist George Wald told us, “Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken”—at least one of the big environmental disasters should have come to fruition...
- Global Cooling
- Mass Starvation
- Resource Depletion
- Mass Extinction
- Renewable Energy
- Global Warming
The only truly predictable thing is that doctrinal dogma, computer models, and political positions too often trump truth and create warring factions, disputing, hatred, greater governmental intervention, and power-mongering.
The watchfulness Jesus describes --and is building into His followers-- is not marked by accurate predictions of questionable interpretations, but by resistance.
- Resistance to being un-choosable through disobedience, indolence, carelessness, thoughtlessness, fearfulness or self-will.
- Resistance to the thief and his lies.
- Resistance to letting evil plunder our hearts and homes.
- Resistance to letting the world system squeeze us into its predictable mold and robbing us of the freedom to live life in harmony with our Creator.
- Resistance to fashionable and chic, wealth and power, envy and coveting, materialism and ambition.