"You cannot allow two masters to rule your life. Either you will disregard one, and love the other; or else cling to one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and remain enslaved to the gods of this world."
If I find
- my position, my consciousness, that of one away from home, nay, that of one in some sort of prison;
- that I can neither rule the world in which I live nor my own thoughts or desires;
- that I cannot quiet my passions,
- order my likings,
- determine my ends,
- will my growth,
- forget when I would,
- or recall what I forget;
- that I cannot love where I would, or hate where I would;
- that I am no king over myself;
- that I cannot supply my own needs, do not even always know which of my seeming needs are to be supplied, and which treated as impostors;
- my own being is every way too much for me;
- I can neither understand it, be satisfied with it, nor better it
- my own scale seems too large for my management;
- that I cannot account for my existence, have had no poorest hand in it, neither, should I not like it, can do anything towards causing it to cease;
- I can do nothing to make up to those I love, any more than to those I hate, for evils I have done them and sorrows I have caused them;
- that in my worst moments I disbelieve in my best, in my best loathe my worst; that there is in me no wholeness, no unity;
- that life is not a good to me, for I scorn myself
To know God present, to have the consciousness of God where he is the essential life, must be absolutely necessary to that life!
He that is made in the image of God must know him or be desolate:
the child must have the Father!
-adapted from George MacDonald, Man's Difficulty Concerning Prayer, Unspoken Sermons II
To be a follower of Jesus is to reach the pinnacle of our potential. It is then we have but one Master leading us where we belong! It is in following Him and serving others we find our true selves!