Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Return.8

"Let not my returning find you unprepared; 
for like the springing of a trap, 
will it suddenly come upon the earth."
--Jesus

Recently my wife and I took four of our grandkids camping.
 Normally I love camping.  Enormously I love my grandkids. But this was a cold October weekend we chose for both.  After working through a tough week battling a cold and cowpoop, I just wasn't looking forward to battling weather and whippersnappers! 

We arrived late at night where we then had to set up camp, unload our horses, get them tied up and settle the kids down for a chilly night's sleep.  It was almost more than I could handle and all I could think about was how much I did not want to be here, I wanted to be home in the comfort of my own bed!

The next morning after waking I carefully unpeeled myself from between the puzzle-pieces of bodies lying all around, praying I wouldn't wake anyone before getting a first cup of coffee!  Outside, as I wandered aimlessly not wanting to go back in the camper and really not wanting to stay, a friend rescued me with the comforting words: we have coffee!

Comfort.  It has a powerful pull on a weak and weary soul, doesn't it? At one point I remember thinking that I was living an episode of Bear Gryll's Man vs Wild and recoiling at the notion of having to endure discomfort!

But if it's true that Jesus has a right to my absolute obedience I need to remember that He also has a right to determine my steps and I don't have a right to argue whether I like His will or not.  The "springing of the trap" of His will is a great word-picture of the surprise too many "Christians" experience when comfort is suddenly whisked away by death, disease, societal collapse, evil, cold-hearts and indifference. 

Blog sites are springing up daily on how to be prepared for this or that looming disaster.  For a follower of Jesus the primary preparation we must focus on is alacrity: quick, cheerful, complete obedience from the heart.  Whether His will calls us to great sacrifice, great watchfulness, great fellowship, great planting or great reaping, let it be said of us: we are ready!

By the way, a little perspective gives a great deal of comfort: we had a great weekend with family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. You can post them here or send me an email: clyon2msu@gmail.com. Thanks for reading, hope you are encouraged, blessed, challenged and grow stronger in your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Charlie